Catalpa Inn, Our First Meeting Place
It’s June, 1916. The Rotary Club of Ann Arbor, recently launched by Dr. Theron S. Langford, has quickly grown to fifteen charter members. The weekly Rotary meeting is scheduled at the Catalpa Inn on the corner of Fourth and Ann—and the catalpas are in bloom.
Catalpa trees, with their distinctive, heart-shaped leaves, bear big white flower clusters, to be followed by seed pods that look like long brown string beans. But Ann Arbor’s most famous catalpas, the trees from which many central-area catalpas are said to have been propagated, are only a memory. They stood in front of the old Chapin House, a once-handsome Greek Revival building on Ann at Fourth Avenue. For three decades, the place was known as the Catalpa Hotel.
The house was built around 1840 to house the Washtenaw Bank and provide a home for its president and his family. Its solid brick walls were covered with stucco, which was then scored to resemble the stone masonry of the Greek temples which inspired the Greek Revival style so popular in early nineteenth-century American architecture. Ann Arbor had so many similar imitation-stone houses at that time, it was sometimes called a “little stucco village.”
In 1847, Volney Chapin, the prosperous owner of an agricultural implement foundry on West Huron, purchased the house and converted it to a private residence. For thirty years it was a local showplace, renowned for its large catalpa trees and rose-bordered paths winding through the extensive grounds extending all the way back to Catherine and up to Fifth Avenue. After Mrs. Chapin’s death in 1876, the house was sold. The gardens gave way to commercial development, while the house served as a hotel with a succession of different names.
The side along Fourth Avenue was remodeled into several storefronts with plate glass windows. They housed a variety of shops, including a saloon, a billiard hall, and a barbershop. In 1913, Joe Parker, proprietor of Joe Parker’s College Saloon (the famous “Joe’s” that figures so prominently in that favorite college song, “I Want to Go Back to Michigan”), moved his establishment into the Catalpa Hotel, where it thrived until Prohibition.
Joe’s went out of business in 1920, and the next year, the Catalpa Hotel was sold to the Ann Arbor Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber drew up plans for remodeling the building in the then-popular colonial mode, taking advantage of its classical lines and details. Published drawings provided for an outdoor tea garden, an auditorium, and a banquet hall. But these changes never materialized. In 1925 the Chamber had more ambitious and metropolitan plans for its property and began a long campaign to construct a modern, fireproof hotel on the site. These plans too, never came to pass. Throughout the Depression and early war years the building housed the offices of many service and welfare organizations, as well as the local bus station.
In 1942, citing its inability to meet operating expenses, the Chamber sold the building for $11,000 to Christ Bilakos. He renamed it Peters Hotel for his son, Peter Bilakos, who now has a law practice down the street at 109 East Ann. The Bilakos family still owns the Chapin building which is now home to Kaleidoscope, TeaHaus, Vicki’s and Heavenly Metal. (Patricia Garcia, March 2013)
- About Us
- Our History & 2016 Centennial
- Contact Us
- About Rotary and Our Club
- Site Map
- FAQ for GRANTS & SERVICE
- Nearby Rotary Clubs
- Privacy and Copyright
- Youth Services
- Member Portal
- News & Events